Saturday, June 20, 2009

Down to 2

The house I made an offer on is rapidly closing on a decision -- the choice is between my offer and a cash offer, with mine being higher by "less than $200".

Just to cover my bases I went back out today to look at some more homes if they take the cash and saw a few possibilities; additionally I also stopped back by the home and double checked things which left me with good news! The new buyer of my previous home asked for appliances and I said they could take the washer/dryer but not the fridge. The fridge was a really nice luxury model I got with a combination sales-tax-free-weekend, discontinued/on-sale discount, then a display model/dings discount -- giving that up didn't make any sense. The washer is an el cheapo I bought in '05, the dryer is a hand-me-down from the mid-90s. Well, the house I made an offer on had their washer and dryer abandoned in the foreclosure so I won't even have to buy those from the looks!

Working two jobs is very stressful, I get home from the first and I'm tired and just want to sleep; and putting in the 20 hours/week I promised the second is being a challenge. I'm going to be spending the rest of my Saturday and all day Sunday playing catch up, but I hope to get into a better system where I'm at least spending 2 hours a night on weeknights, which would bring my weekend load to 10 hours or less.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Resold and Starting Work

And a few days later, the house looks to be resold. There was actually more interest in the house this time then when we originally put it on the market. In the last week I got about 10 'interested' buyers and 4 actual offers. After some negotiation it looks like I'll net about $104k from the house, albeit losing my washer and dryer in the sale (the washer was $400 4 years ago, the dryer is a hand me down that is something like 10 years or more old).

This also marks my first day of full time employment after moving to Nevada. I'll have to be trusting the significant other to deal with anything that comes up, but with luck the house offer made last Friday will come through. The market is really crazy; lots of houses are being priced 'under' to try and make bidding wars (Sorry, not playing that game) and it is also hard for me to get used to the idea of asking for closing costs, which everyone is recommending I do (To me an offer of, say '105k with 5k closing costs' is the same as an offer of 100k so why bother?)

My part time job is also putting my first check in the mail, though I will add that I feel somewhat guilty in that I have really stalled out on it when I ran into some issues I've never had to deal with before. Luckily, I have some friends who might know and I plan to abuse/ask them to help out so I can push through. After that: back to slightly more 'hardcore' financial happenings, but for the moment house hunting and new jobs are dominating my life both personally and financially.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Back on the Market, and On The Market

My house had 'sold' and everything was going well until -- on the very last day of my buyer's option period -- the buyer backed out. The reason, according to my realtor and the buyer's is that the buyer decided to "just wait for me to get foreclosed on". If you know anything about my finances, that's a pretty laughable scenario. So the home is back on the market.
On the up side, the house still has plenty of interest in it -- my realtor had a whole page of call back requests if that deal fell through, and I've gotten a number of showing requests in the last 24 hours.

Meanwhile I am house hunting in Nevada. The market for safe, inexpensive 'blue collar' type homes here is crowded thanks to the housing bubble, but investors are buying these cheaper properties up by the dozen. Homes are often sold after less than a day on the market; and I'm having trouble finding a solid home because of it. There is also the sub issue of wanting to get into the home in the first week of July since that is when the movers will be arriving. This was originally scheduled because of the June 30th closing date on my home, but perhaps I can call them and delay while my house is on the market again which would give me more time.

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Greetings from Arizona!

So I have officially left Texas and started the move to Nevada.

I will say that it is very strange, and I already miss my home. It wasn't really real until I was preparing to lock the place up and head out.

After 16+ hours in the car I'm very sore and plan to enjoy my cheap hotel room bed as I can tonight. Once I settle in, back to my finances -- probably starting with a discussion of trying to find a new home!